Tools and Weapons

Home Forums Suggestions Crafting Tools and Weapons

Tagged: 

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      Dasachi

The perfect crafting system for me when it comes to making tools and weapons, is an advanced one.

Crafting different tiers of tools/weapons should come with more advanced crafting mechanics, such as need to make a tool/weapon forge. Making casts.

Not sure if there are different tiers, like wood/stone/steel/etc.

I think tools/weapons should also need 3 parts to build. The handle, the binding, and the head(tool head or blade)

Rob
      Participant

We want to hear more from all of you about crafting. Some people seem to like lots of detail and advanced systems and others much simpler mechanics.

I’m a details guy and love messing around with lots of different components and having some level of progression with crafting.

What say you Oortians?

Rob – Wonderstruck Designer

elsaraiva
        Participant

Detailed crafting for sure! More customizing = Epic! And I love the idea of having elemental status added to weapons AND armor.

Brook

I’m going to walk this in the opposite direction as that espoused by elsaraiva: I play games to have fun and relax. Facing a crafting system that’s as complex as what I do for a living already (I write software in C++) is not my idea of relaxing. It would be nice if OO didn’t cater to the DPS pathology or the uber-item pathology in general. Too many games have gone that route and it would be nice to see a game that fostered more cooperation than it did pixelized bloodshed.

I absolutely love detailed crating in games as well. I like to have unique looking weapons that not everyone will have, something that I can claim as my own. I like games where you are actually able to influence the design of a weapon or tool, using materials to make it look a certain way or actually be able to draw out how you want it to look. I also think adding effects to weapons would be neat. Flaming swords and glowing staffs or maybe even causing status effects on enemies from using the weapon in battle (poison, burn, freezing, stun, etc.) I know these features would take some work to implement but I definitely think Oort Online would be perfect for something like this.

Janis

Yeah i definitely agree with Luchog it would be nice if you can craft weapons that no one else have or it is very rare. Maybe you can craft different designs but with the same stats and i think it would be easier to do that when you need ore items to craft the hole tool especially weapon or armor.

Dasachi

Yeah I also think having different tiers of weapons and tools is necessary.

But let me mix and match. Say I only have enough iron to make a sword blade, but i have alot of stone laying around.

I could make 1 iron sword blade, 1 stone sword handle, and 1 stone sword binding.

This sword would have higher damage than a stone sword(because of the blade) but would have the same durability and swing speed(because of the handle and binding)

Not only would this affect the stats, but the look as well. Youd be able to see that the handle and binding were made of stone, and that the blade was made of iron.

Something to that extent is what I would recommend.

Rob
      Participant

We’re working on some of the basic crafting infrastructure at the minute and I think with what we have planned we should be able to satisfy some of your concepts. One of the big things we want to put into the system is a bit of an ‘experimental’ feel with some more advanced crafting so that you can get some interesting effects if you mess with some strange materials in a recipe.

For example. You might put in the ingredients for an iron battleaxe but mix in some volcanic dust you’ve found. Perhaps that might add some strange properties to the axe.

Flaming axes with fire damage anyone….?

😉

Rob – Wonderstruck Designer

Master_Chill
        Participant

Flaming axes with fire damage? Good for me, but then I’d like to see some realistic way of putting that axe away as well. Cause if I’d take that same axe with me on my back by means of a belt, I’d get some awful ugly scarring, you know. What I’m trying to say, is that I’ve always detested those ‘putting your sword’ away tactics in games. You never see the scabbard of a sword, always just the sword alone. Think Fable 1 for example.

Grimoire
      Participant

Oooh, can we get like special effects that resonate from the weapon too?

Thorbjorn

I absolutely love complexity and really like to do a lot of different steps to get a tool or weapon. But you need to remember all the players who don’t like to do this stuff.

A way to do both is to make a fairly simple crafting system with not too many different small parts. And then have a quite advanced system for improving/enchanting the weapon with a lot of small parts and different crafting stations. This way we have a lot of fun making customized weapons AND the ones who just want to get started building and exploring can do that 🙂

Dasachi

Thats great Rob. I love that idea.

dommy_43
      Participant

I’m not terribly sure on this idea but I like tech trees. You could use skill points to get higher on the tree.
      There could be different parts of the tree, for example, a part for travel items (grappling hooks, saddles etc) and a part for weapon items (swords, bows etc).
      As I say I’m not sure if this could work in oort online but if made well it could be quite satisfying.

In my opinion

It should start off pretty basic…
      this encourages new players to start crafting and explore crafting more.

But it gets more detailed the longer you go.

for example you got 3 simple 1 tier tools
      (stick bronze bar = bronze pick axe)
      next up you got 9 more detailed tier 2 tools
      (wooden handle, pickaxe mallet + Iron and coal -> steel pick axe head = steel pick axe)
      and lastly you got 30 or more very detailed tier 3 tools
      Refined hard wood handle, pickaxe head mallet , attachment rod mallet, steel + adamantite aloy (stedamant), stedamant pickaxe head + stedamant attachment rod + refined hardwood handle = stedamant pick axe.)

The last most detailed tier allows for experimentation and visual differences so that the entire tier 3 equally good.

Dasachi

I think it should start off basic too.

But I think tiers should be based off the materials you are using.

For instance. You start of only being able to craft Tier 1 weapons and tool. The more you craft Tier 1, the more experience you get in that craft.

Once you level a craft up enough, you can start craft the next Tier of that category.

Heres how I think tiers and crafts should work. These are based off Mohs scale of hardness, with 0 being softest and 10 being hardest.

Tier 1(2.5-3)
      Stone, Jet(lignite), Copper

Tier 2(4-4.5)
      Iron, Platinum, Steel

Tier 3(5-6)
      Cobalt, Obsidian, Titanium

Tier 4(6-8)
      Quartz, Opal, Tungsten

Tier 5(9-10)
      Corundum, Boron, Diamond.

Crafts
      Crafts should be set up into groups and subgroups

Example
      Weapon Crafting
      *Sword Crafting
      *Bow Crafting
      *Spear Crafting
      *Etc.

Crafting a Sword will give you a set amount of overall crafting xp, it will you give weapon crafting xp(more than you got for overall), and it will give you even more sword crafting xp.

I do not think that crafting swords should make you better at crafting bows, or tables. Those things dont correlate.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 9 months ago by Dasachi.
        Thorbjorn

You know gold is VERRY soft and tungsten is even softer? Lead is quite soft too and bronze is a far worse material than steel also the idea of wooden tools are insane the material is way too flexible and soft to be used as a tool… But the tier system is cool though but it would be more fun if it was more advanced an more extensive.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 9 months ago by Thorbjorn.
        Dasachi

Okay its fixed. I was using densities as my ranking, which was wrong.

So know Im using Mohs Scale of hardness, which rates them on their ability to scratch other minerals.

Ice has a hardness of 1.5 on the scale.
        Tungsten has a 7.5-8.
        Diamond is at 10.
        Gold is at 2.5-3.

Are you sure Tungsten is softer than gold?

Pharoah
        Participant

I believe gold is one of the softer metals. From my understanding, pure gold can be moulded with your bare hands (not to any degree of detail).

I’m unsure of any other metal other than aluminium alloys that can be manipulated in this way, least of all Tungsten (also known as wolfram) which is used by military for penetrating projectiles.

Tungsten has the highest melting point of all metals (in it’s raw form). Also has the highest tensile strength.

Tungsten unrefined is a hard, yet brittle metal. But exceeds gold in hardness and tensile strength, while being only slightly less dense than gold.

mr.stuff

From my understanding of watching videos and reading information there would be a crafting route and a sort of combat route? So if u were in a guild you would have some guys who we’re say master builders who would build and craft higher level stuff while you would have combat guys who who do larger amounts of damage etc? Both could craft/ mine and fight just one would be better than the other at certain bits? Almost like wow where you have different profs like alch, tailor etc possibly using each other to build a stronger guild/ group rather than all being able to do the same stuff?

upsio

I am a details kind of person myself I like the idea of crafting and forging tools and I also like the idea of using different components and materials and maybe getting to the the highest tier where a Player can craft their own special weapons and tools. it would be important to have different crafting processes for different things like if you are forging armor then having different tools and work piece furniture like you can craft in certain buffs if you have the right materials and tools. in some of them you might even add an optional minigame that can be turned on or off in the settings for the players that just love to craft.

Master_Chill
      Participant

Personally, I don’t care for which materials (stone, dust, orichalcum and whatnot) will be available, that job is more aesthetic to me and purely a designjob for the concept artists. What concerns me more is the way we create them. I covered the very start of the whole process right here already: http://oortonline.com/forums/topic/floating-foliage/

But to reiterate, I’d like to keep this as realistic as possible, and avoid punching trees. So that means gathering sticks from bushes and fallen from trees, to bind them together with woven reeds (or cobwebs woven to string or something alike), and to combine them with what you can find of materials of your choice.

As this goes on further up the skilltree, one can have an oven where one needs to create a mould first with clay, in which all further tools can be created, depending on their materials again. And so on and so on ..

Ditto for armour btw, not just making the shiny parts, but the wool padding inside as well. So that means not just ironcrafting, I’m talking stitching, knitting and sowing all the same. This way, clothes can be worn down when you’re poor, and repaired at towns after a long and hard battle.

This way, a town/village/metropolis will cover all sorts of specific job opportunities and create a sort of safe heaven for the wary travellers.

Kuma

I really like your ideas my friend^^

Havok40k
        Participant

Bump for visibility, WS, This is an excellent idea!

Umajianu

I triply endorse this concept.

langel
      Participant

I think that the crafting should be really complex for items that you are unlikely to make a lot of them.

For example, with pickaxes you shouldn’t make a hard recipe because you are likely to create a lot of pickaxes and other tools. (Low Tier Tools)

But with items that doesn’t have any durability they should be harder to make because you will probably only make one or 2. This applies to High Tier Tools

Kuma

Why have to work through many picks anyway? How often does a miner really buy a new pickaxe? I think Oort should go a new way about that.
        But besides that, I too think the really epic things you can craft should have really complex recipes.

Maybe use molds to give weapons and tool cool apearances.
      liek if you get a nice looking weapon you cna use that weapon to create a mold for that type of weapon look. so you can make weapons look that way whatever material you use.

same for tools and trinkets (rings necklaces earrings).
      maybe some racial molds aswel? so we can have like a sort of economy in molds ^^

Just an idea

Pharoah
      Participant

Mold’s, components, special additions to add unique attributes, blueprints, etc. Higher level crafting should require certain things which can be found exploring the worlds of Oort, giving a really unique crafting system.

If any mold can be used to make a blade/arrowhead/spearhead etc, which can be attached to any hilt/shaft etc, and have potential attributes such as fire, or ice, using special rare materials, this opens a huge array of crafting options, the type of mold, material and the level of skill you have determine the outcome of the quality of components you make, this can hold true for alot of things, including potions, refining, etc.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 5 months ago by Pharoah.
      Patfor333
      Participant

I would like a very wide variety for every tier of material. Each world has a different pallet of said materials, some going from tier 3 then not having tiers 4-5 and jumping straight to tier 6 for example. Each tier would have different kinds of material within itself that accomplish different goals. Say for tier 1 being wood, there would be different kinds of wood on different worlds. One would would have a higher durability than average, but a lower mining speed. One would have a higher damage which would make it a good melee weapon, but a low mining speed making it a poor choice for a pickaxe. Not only should there be this sort of variety within the tiers, but there should also be over a dozen different tiers, hopefully many more than this to allow for constant progression within the game, possibly for a long time.

This is great for an MMO, and great for RPGs; it would give the players something to strive for while creating a stronger community and sense of immersion.

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.