Bag (Inventory) & Trading

Home Forums Suggestions Crafting Bag (Inventory) & Trading

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      Grimoire
      Participant

I think it would be cool if you can craft your bag, like you start out with what you can carry like say 6 slots. And then you get the materials to craft yourself a bigger bag as an ungrade how much you can carry.

I also think it would be neat, if your looking at your inventory it would show your character taking out your bag (whichever version you crafted/bought/found and it would show that specific look) and looking through it.

///When trading with somebody else, it would be very neat if you could make your character hold out their hand and the item trading be it an item/equipment/materials/gold it would hover over the palm of your hand and the tradee would reach out and grab it when trade is completed/accepted.

Rob
      Participant

Hi Grimoire. Ben (one of the other Wonderstruck Designers) and I were just debating bag and inventory design the other day.

We’re intending on letting you to craft bags in Oort Online. I like your concept of keeping the whole inventory/trading system in the in-game world. very interesting.

Rob – Wonderstruck Designer

Alfa_Lupus
      Participant

I second that, if you guys could pull it off it’d be amazing, hell if you just opening your bag and the inventory UI opened over it (would probably have to be fairly transparent) that would be cool!

Benjyboi

I think adding the capacity factor might be cool, but this game might not fit under the category of overweight items. Just a suggestion.

Rob
      Participant

Hi Benjyboi. Yeah, we’re not sure about a weight capacity system. I never find it terribly fun when I’m constantly working on ‘inventory management’ instead of having more fun in the game.

Skyrim (which I love) had an encumbrance system that springs to mind. I was like a kleptomaniac in that game. I HAD to steal EVERYTHING! Giant cast iron pots, bowls, food, baskets, if it wasn’t nailed down I would take it. Then I’d spend an age travelling at 0.0001 mph trying to get home with my worthless loot 😉

We’re still working on the bag design so plenty of room for changes.

Rob – Wonderstruck Designer

Benjyboi

Totally understandable, that’s why I didn’t think this game aimed toward that. Having a lot of supplies is crucial for building, a capacity system would hinder that process.

Grimoire
      Participant

Though I’d think maybe you’d have 2 different types of bags? One for raw materials you find in the world and the 2nd for like crafted materials/equipment/furniture?

Or 1 for building tools and the other for stuff like food and that sort of thing? Just putting things out there. ^^

• This reply was modified 9 years, 9 months ago by Grimoire.
      NeonZerglin
      Participant

I like this idea. You could kill different creatures for their hides to craft bigger bags like in Farcry 3.

Dasachi

I think needing to craft bags in order to hold more it a good idea. But it shouldnt be necessary.

I do like the idea of having bag types. Like a bag for dirt, sand, gravel, etc.
      And when you mine those it automatically goes into that bag. Or a bag for ores and valuable resources that go into it when you mine them.

Grimoire
      Participant

Well I think maybe something like this, you get a bag, whatever you start out with, it’s bare and you can pick up some stuff (blocks, some mats) but maybe in different compartments have so much space like you start out with 5 slots open for natural blocks be it dirt, stone, unrefined ores/gems, sand, wood, and then you get 5 slots for things like materials, plants, seeds, animal drops to monster drops. That way when your carrying too much stuff you can run home and store in a container you craft. (Cause really nobody leaves that far from their homw just yet, they normally travel a bit until they find the right spot they like before they settle down.) Then they can start to craft a basic upgrade and increases space by +5/+5.

I know there is gonna be alot of building blocks and mats you’ll run into and I think the longer you play the more space / things your gonna learn.

or you can just craft them bags and modifie them giving them “permissions”
      this bag has permission to store ores
      this bag has permission to store tools
      this bag has permission to store nothing but sand and stone

maybe something like that?

Also maybe make some bags for transport pets. so we can load our pet full of stuff and keep mining and then head out to emty the bags of the pet and yours.

Master_Chill
      Participant

Alright, made this profile specifically for this section. So here goes as my first post:

– I love the idea of trading in future Oort worlds with all kinds of players. But there’ll be a time when players will be sleeping or going out or whatever, as I’ve had with other MMO’s before. And that’s when I’ll turn to NPC’s for my trading. It’s why I disliked Minecraft so much in the end. In Fable, they had wandering traders, and I love that idea. Some traded tattoo’s (can we get those too, pretty please?), others traded food and so on. If by any chance pets will become a thing, they can even be used to carry extra storage room, who knows?

What I’m trying to say is that I’d love to see wandering Npc’s in Oort Online, next to normal trading in outposts and whatnot. It’d be great to craft our own bags, have pets following us and being able to store bags on ‘m, but I’d still love to trade like hell with some npc’s going from one city to another, please. Otherwise it’ll just feel like Minecraft again, where we build and build and build, but nobody will live in any of my cities (yes, I tend to make cities, you’re all warned).

– Added detail, these traders wouldn’t show up as long as there isn’t a decent city to go to. For example, various players (in a guild or not) establish City A, nothing happens yet, for as long as certain features aren’t established yet. Once another group of people create the second City B (even in another world or server – since we have portals, it doesn’t matter), the trading can commence between these two towns. People will start to see small trades at first, followed by large caravans sometimes going from one point to another.

– And this brings me to Point Nr2. It can even bring in quests for players! Because we all want to have epic adventures and keep the trading alive between two cities, right? For example, protect merchants on the path from A to B from small enemies; help guide the caravan from one city to another whilst protecting it from a Titan (might need 10 people minimum – caravan won’t leave before the minimum’s reached). And so on.

TLDR; Would *love* to see trading between two cities. Lone merchants at first, whole caravans with pets that carry goods on their back and so forth later on.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 9 months ago by Master_Chill.
      Kuma

It’s just a little optical idea but I’d love to see like a transparent hologram thingy of the inventory of the other person if he opens it up and maybe the same view if I open it up myself. A little bit like in Dead Space (or SAO^^).

Zouls
      Participant

Bags
      I’d love if we had a specific bag crafting proffession and instead of only having bigger bags they would be seen like this. I’d love to run around with 20 diffrent pouches as belts and side satchels, that way you can level as a bag crafter and get cooler bags intead of just bigger bags, wouldnt matter to some but i’d love something like that

Master_Chill
      Participant

Man, that idea makes me really excited for the game! I really hope it’ll make it to the end. Imagine a caravan of traders: some are tattooists, others trade in bags, a few in general small items or small weapons and the lasts ones in food. That would make for some *really* nice screenshots! 😀

Grimoire
      Participant

Ya like backpacks and bags or whatnot can be equipable / displayed on your character in-game. :3

majorwitty

I’d like to see non-magical bags with x limits then magical/enhanced bags with higher capacity than non-magical limits. I want to carry 1000 cubic meters of a stone like material around just in case I want to drop down an instant fort.

Birne

Yeah, the idea of not only have more slots but also the possibility for bigger stacks in a bag (cuz of magic or high-tech) sounds real good. It would also be giving your inventory a way to be more “specific”. For example as an explorer or hunter I need many slots for all the different stuff like plants, leathers or gems I find, but if I play as a miner for building ressources it would be better to go for larger stacks. And if you need both your bags could get real expansive.

*Thumbs-up* for it! ;D

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.