Beacons

Home Forums General Discussion Beacons

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Nephilim28
      Participant

Quick question, just got game off steam and I Wonder abou beacons. I know they will be in future, but i Wonder if there is in game any protection system atm ? Thanks 🙂

Ardos

Some beacons have been placed on player structures by Devs. That is the only way to protect things at this time.

Ohmz

What is the general plan for beacons, will people be able to place more than 1 beacon down, or maybe 1 beacon per world? Will there be different types of beacons, eg a big fixed one to protect your building area/home, and a much smaller temporary and movable one, say if you want to build a quick shelter while on the move, and want to protect it from others for a bit?

Pharoah
      Participant

I hope they have 1 home beacon which once set, cannot be moved, with several movable beacons, which would allow miners to post a beacon at a rich vein and remove the beacon after the vein has been exhausted, this could be similar for any number of player types.

In addition, hopefully, they will use a decay feature. The beacon looks for it’s owner, and after X number of days/weeks without finding them, it decays (this would be the only way a home beacon could be moved, as it should by rights be re-added to the players inventory for future play experiences, along with smaller movable beacons decaying in this fashion, and being re-added to the players inventory)

• This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by Pharoah.
      Sorrow
      Participant

Personally I don’t think you should be able to move around a beacon easily. Like you said, it allows a player to monopolize rich veins. You should be able to fight/compromise over rich veins of resources.

Pharoah
        Participant

This is true, maybe the beacons have a timer before they return to the players inventory, giving a player a limited amount of time (say 3-5 day) before they have to replace the beacon, if they claim an area, and do not return within the given timeframe, the beacon decays and anyone can claim the area. As for war over a claimed area, I’m not exactly sure how that could be implemented. Maybe a specific feature that allows you to demand a battle which anyone can partake in (or groups, or guilds, depending on how all of this stuff will be handled as well). This would allow for poorly defended beacons to be taken easy, and heavily defended beacons be difficult to penetrate.

As for the issue I read in the provided thread, depletion of resources on worlds. This could be solved with regeneration, slow regeneration, for example, every half day a random block regenerates, blocks that regenerate have a % chance of being the same type as the blocks beside and diagonally from them, block % is determined by block type rarity, precious blocks will have a lower % of regenerating in general, and along side blocks of similar types.

Regeneration would be limited to unclaimed areas and unparsed areas.

I dunno, this seems like a relatively feasible solution to both problems, unless I’m missing something extremely important.

Sorrow
        Participant

The issue I was getting at is that someone can find a rich vein, not have the time to mine it… and just stick a claim on it.

Personally, that does not seem like a fun game mechanic to me. If you find a good vein of resources, you should want to extract it pronto.

James
      Keymaster

We’re playing with a few ideas:

1. There will be different sized beacons. As you suggest, big for your main base, small for outposts, etc. Remember it’s a survival game. You’ll need homes away from home. Or you can cobble a few together to make the area big, etc.

2. The world will regenerate in a consistent (deterministic) way, *but* the resources will be distributed differently – so there is no camping around good seams of minerals. This is still experimental.

3. Items outside of beacons will degrade – this might make the move / non-move beacon issue mute. If you move your beacon then the landscape will degrade your base away.

These are considerations that we’re prototyping – they’re not final until the community and players show they work.

We’re really keen the get beacons v1 into the game ASAP after the Steam launch, especially as the number of players is growing.

Additional: If you watch how people move around the terrains with the grappling hook I think we’ll naturally see less pillars.

Like / dislike? Thoughts?

• This reply was modified 9 years, 5 months ago by James.
      Karko

1,2,3. I’m loving it.

Ardos

These sound like good ideas to me.

Thorbjorn

For number 2 it would be cool if some areas would regrow and some would just spawn again somewhere else.

For example if there is this single grove of special diamond growing trees in a world and you find it and claim it would be really sad if it took 2 hours to take it down and then it was just gone.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.