Home Forums Suggestions Other Better/Realistic MMO RPG Mechanics:

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Trollacoaster
      Participant

Better MMO RPG Mechanics:

Currency: Gold, Silver, and Copper
      1 Gold = 100 Silver, 1 Silver = 100 Copper, 10,000 Copper = 1 Gold

NPCS: NPCs can raise durability of items (repair them), can buy things from player, Players can buy things from NPCs (such as food, weapons, armor, and recipes)
      Unique NPCs should be able to have a quest system and award the player for what ever the quest is, such as clearing out/killing 5 of a specific mob or something.

Recipes: Recipes are needed to craft items that are typically better then other items. Some recipes can be learned permanent but are harder to obtain and don’t need many resources.

Combat: Focusing on an RPGs combat mechanics won’t help this game. There’s already tons of posts on combat and honestly, there over thought and not that great.

Food: There should be foods from all cultures in this game. We want this game to be different from others right? Cultures being added in the game could attract many people such as adding many food options in a game.

Weapons: Again with the culture thing, different styles of weapons should be added, multiple copies of the same sword, but different looks related to different cultures.

Being able to write on maps

Patfor333
      Participant

NPCs can be discussed here: http://oortonline.com/forums/topic/npcs/

Depending on the crafting system, recipes could or could not work. If it were like Minecraft where you placed items across a grid, recipes would only make sense as a way to share a crafting recipe with others, but you don’t need the recipe to make the item. If you craft the item by clicking on an icon like in Terraria, crafting recipes could be needed to learn how to make an item, or you would just need the materials to make it with no recipe needed. Recipes are mentioned on the main website when you hover over the “Craft exclusive weapon” perk in the packages: “When you start the game you have access to a recipe to craft an exclusive weapon that cannot be crafted by non-backers.” This sounds like you do need recipes to craft items. Personally, I like being able to craft anything I want as long as I have the proper materials and crafting tables.

Grey

Love the currency idea :3
      just wanted to add that I think all different aspects of the game are important including combat seeing as there are people that like that even in mine craft and you will have to fight titans and all that not just crafting and building.
      would love to see oort fully try and hone in all of these aspects instead of a few.

Trollacoaster
        Participant

I completely agree. These are just a few of my ideas. I will probably be posting another post later>>. I didn’t touch up on combat because I have seen so many posts already and there just butchering the idea of an MMORPG. People don’t realize those elements can’t really be added into a game like this.

Grey

Some I’m sure the devs can make some type of nifty system thou and a game is still in pre alpha. I’m sure its not completely definable just yet unless your basing it off of other similar games like minecraft which I’d hope the devs would try not to make it into a minecraft clone.

dapasdapro
      Participant

I’m not a fan of common “currencies”.
      Why should they use a system, which has been used like one thousand times.

Every game will evolve if it differs from common MMOs and cuts a slice from EVE Online.

VexusOo
      Participant

i like how you used the carbon cookie cutter of mmo’s to define what is better and more realistic, not gonna harp on you but in an alien world, filled with giant monaters, animal races, who would want to play a game with these ideas? you legit suggested trove tbh.

Birne

Hmmm, sounds quite like WoW … Why having the same Curency-Calc? I think it should be more unique, like “1000 Gold = 1 Gold-Block” for example. The same with the quests. The good old “kill x of y to get z” or “bring a to b to recieve c” sounds quite boring (but may be ok if it would be used in procedural created quests to kill free time between the real activities 😉 ). And the NPCs, well, they would be cool, but to repair I would prefer the usage of an anvil or workbench 😉

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.