Griefers

Home Forums Suggestions Multiplayer Griefers

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      DarthKaspa

We know them, we hate them. The true enemy to voxel games. How will the universe of Oort fight them?

Rukio

Beacon system! Check out more info here! http://oortonline.com/#features

Also community ran servers is a goal. So just ban them. (:

Grimoire
      Participant

Well I personally think they should have a form of pvp/griefing but not extreme to where it’s nearly impossible to rebuild and such.

Like fighting for resources and the like, we still haven’t seen much of this game yet and I feel like they are going to add alot of features. Player vs. Player, Guild vs. Guild and that sort of thing, it could add so much fun to the world. Like say somebody is griefing your home or your store, breaking somebody’s home block can take a long time maybe and if they do that person can become hated by other players alike and they can get flagged to become hunted and so when that happens whoever helps kill that griefing player you get rewarded by killing a wanted player in the community.

DarthKaspa

Ah beacons. Forgot about that. Now I have seen those in action before. People tended to just plop them down around other players already claimed land. Basically turned the tool itself as a greifing tool. Now the community based server is nice, but how would that work as an mmo? I may have also missed that part.

And Grimoire, I agree. Having a balance of pvp will keep the game interesting. If the guilds can be structured well in Oort and have huge wars in real time, now that would great to experience. Maybe take some law elements from EvE online perhaps? Not as detailed, but keep players held accountable for their actions. When they break blocks put down by another player, it will keep track of that and have negative effects. Like any NPCs will not work with you. I’m not sure what could be done. Hope it will be thoroughly looked at.

Grimoire
      Participant

I don’t think there’s should be npcs in game but I do think that if somebody griefs without being in a pvp zone and its OK then they get marked by players to see that that person is a griefer but if its by accident you can pay what you broke to the owner with in game currency to what you break depending on what was bueted . (You get your item back they pay a fee to you to get rid of the griefer mark.

Master_Chill
      Participant

Something I haven’t seen anywhere but in real life is the following. Imagine a griefer if you will, in the real world. There are even names for them already. We call them thieves, robbers, hooligans and violators of public property. And they are dealt with accordingly. So why don’t we apply those laws to this universe as well? Create wanted post signs, like in those western-movies. Hunt them down like Bounty Hunters do and issue bounties on their heads. Or will that just backfire and make people want to achieve the desire for who’s worth the most?

DarthKaspa

We see that bounty system in EvE Online. It works well, but I’m not sure how it would work with a game like this. With the mentality of gamers, the good vs bad ratio would be too far off. In my mind, there would be so much chaos it will discourage players from playing. Like Dayz, My friends and I, even other gamers stopped playing it because of kill on sight. Eve Online, had ganking on sight. It makes it hard for casual players to enjoy these type of games. Yea, it’s part of the game, I understand that. So if we have an automated way of tracking criminal actions it would be easier to “punish” bad behavior. Keep in mind, I was talking about griefing, not banditry. I agree that bandits should be allowed in such a game. PvP is fun. I just don’t want little kids plopping down beacons around my home just for the ‘lulz.’ Also, think of the towering dickstructures. My god…. nevermind, let’s not think about it. Those are some of the griefing actions I mean.

Thorbjorn

Maybe a solution to people placing beacons right up to your border could be that if when a beacon is placed and it already interferes with a border when it is placed the owner of the border can “disagree” with the placement up to 72 hours after if the person “disagrees” the owner of the beacon gets a warning and ha has 72 hours to remove or else it will just be put directly in his inventory.

ShadowFox
      Participant

If they limit the amount of beacons and make hard to get more, the game will handle anything built outside beacons as the world reclaims it. The only thing griefers can get to should be inside a beacon. If you do not have a beacon than griefers won’t be your main issue. As for city/community beacons I think you should be allowed to build by a city leader. The only thing griefers can do at that point is build ugly things and place them in a beacon. And from the looks of things we may be able to remove their beacon with one of our own if placed next to it.

Frozec

Maybe a warning point system? if a player griefs and got caught they will get a +1 warning point. If they get 3 warning points they will be banned permanently. To reduce a warning point, that player have to be online for 10 hours (AFK will be kicked)

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.