Insane suggestion time: "Grab" function, or "the buddy system"

Home Forums Suggestions Multiplayer Insane suggestion time: "Grab" function, or "the buddy system"

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      BranBal

It’s probably going to be ignored, but durnnit, there’s no harm in spouting crazy ideas! If the suggestion is, considered, I understand that it would take a long, LONG while before the devs even get to the point of being able to fiddle with this kind of mechanic.

So, I was grappling around in a desert cave by a nile-esque river just today, my second day on this beautiful game, and I got stuck hanging on for dear life in a narrow hole. Now it would have been nice if I could have grabbed the edge of the block and hoisted myself up, but the graphical lighting, blur, and contrast of light and dark made me think of something else completely. Something along the lines of Ico. Something like “I would love it if I could call for help and someone would be able to pull me outta here”.

And then my imagination went crazy.

It would be great if the ability to grab hold of not only objects, but other players, could be implemented. It would add some unheard-of depth to co-op in general. You’d be able to snag someone before they walk themselves blindly into lava, pull them up if they’re dangling by a thread (like I was), or even lead them by the hand (if they let you), so that they don’t have to struggle to keep up with you.

Granted, this could potentially cause problems with griefers and trolls while someone is idling, but with this idea they would only be able to get as far as the grabbing part. Here’s how I have it down in my head:

> [P1] & [P2] are facing each other
      > [P1] uses the “grab” key on [P2]
      >> if [P2] holds S (back), uses up 5% of their own stamina, but depletes [P1]’s stamina by 15% until [P1]’s stamina reaches zero, and lets go automatically.
      >> if [P2] does nothing, [P1] has the option to ‘drag’ [P2]. but it uses a lot of stamina and will end up letting go if the stamina bar runs out.
      >> if [P2] holds W (forwards), this allows [P1] to ‘lead’ them, by holding S (back).

All other conditions regarding being grabbed from the right, left, or back. If the action is performed while [P2] is moving, it will stop (or greatly slow them+spend their stamina)
      There could also be the possibility of being able to block the ‘Grab’ function so that you can go idle without having to worry about being pulled around. Heck, maybe that could go hand-in-hand(lol) with locking yourself in place, so that you can’t be pushed, either!

Regarding hoisting however, the conditions would go somewhat differently…
      > [P1] is dangling from a ledge using the grappling hook.
      > [P2] goes up to the ledge and uses the ‘Grab’ key.
      > [P1] will have to recall the grapple hook (right click) before allowing [P2] to pull them up.
      > Stamina depletes by 5% per second as long as [P2] is holding on to [P1]
      > Stamina depletion increases to 10% if [P2] holds S (back).
      > In time, depending on [P2]’s Strength value, they will pull [P1] to safety.

I know it sounds cheesy, dorky, and even impossible, but considering how much the Devs of Oort Online puts forward the idea of mining/traveling/questing WITH friends, perhaps the benefits of Co-Op play could use a little extra push & pull.(killmenow) It would really put the CO in Co-Op.
      Perhaps the ‘Grab’ function could do for more than just Co-op or grabbing ledges. Maybe you could pick up your pets and carry them around, or scramble up a Giant’s back like in Shadow of the Collossus, or grab a rope and play tug-o-war with your friends! We’ve seen what the Grapple can do so far, maybe it just requires repeating and tweaking that mechanic some. I mean, what other game has ever done that besides single-player story driven ones? It would be a first!

Still, I admit that I have no idea how much work it would require. Probably too much to even bother. With the characters still nothing more than blocks so far, I can’t tell exactly how flexible the model animations would be; would they have ragdoll physics? Would they have entirely pre-animated walk-cycles that don’t adjust properly to sloping hills? I would have to know all of this before I can even convince myself.

Haha, I’m just a crazy girl, please don’t mind me.

Birne

To hold someone would be a cool option. I know it from other games like platformers where on player can lend anonther one a hand to pull him up a ledge or lean arround a corner. I would like such abillity, but only if you cannot use it for pvp.

But to make it more “crafting game like” you should have to build an item to be able to hold or carry people, something like a “Helping Hand Glove” or a handcart with a seat ^^

Zouls
      Participant

carrying pets and stuff is weird, but as long as they add a stamina bar (which i also want) this might be pretty cool, but since we cant move blocks around and it would be impractical, as long as its only players who can be grapped and pulled i would be up for it.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.