Private Server Shutdown Process

Home Forums General Discussion Private Server Shutdown Process

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Karko

A unique game concept brings some unique challenges. After reading the questions the devs asked in the vote about what kind of server you want to play on. It made me think about what will happen when a private server shutsdown.
      In minecraft its pretty simple, the servers gone, all player data, and world data is as well. But Oort is building a connected persistent universe. It’s one thing if you know the person who runs the private server you will see the hand writing on the wall, but what if you don’t? What if Billybob fails to pay up?
      Is the server shutdown immediately? Is there some form of warning? Could players check the amount of time remaining on a private server in game to see when it’s lease expires? Perhaps so they can pack their stuff?
      Would you and your inventory be transport off an expired world, if so where to? Would blocks you placed in the world be lost? What if i’m selling items on a Oort market server, and it goes down without warning?

tzdavefooks
      Keymaster

We can easily create copies of the world data. We wouldn’t immediately throw it away. So, if a different user wanted to keep the server running we can transfer ownership and nothing would be lost.

The players inventory will be (at some point) persisted between worlds so you would always keep that.

Painbringerz
      Participant

I thought about that too , and I came up with a great Idea ….. What if that World will “fall apart” , slowy eating away everything like a black hole . So you maybe get warned per Mail that the Server will soon “dissapear” if the owner is not going to do a move . That way the Players would have enough time to pack and go to another world .

Hope you like my Idea and I know that there could be more fine tuning 🙂

WBR

Padraigo
      Participant

I’d imagine the world would still be left intact, but not accessible, until you re sub your rent.

If you are paying for a server, you wouldnt want your money spent on it to go to waste.

Similar to a MMO character, if you stop subscribing. Your character isnt deleted.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.