Question(s) regarding beacons

Home Forums General Discussion Question(s) regarding beacons

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Nyuudles

Hi! I just discovered this game from IGN and was really interested about the early concept of those beacons before deciding on donating to this game. It acts like placing a flag on a plot of foreign land, claiming that area as your own, but to what extent?

Will you be allowed to place a beacon near a player already building? If so, then how will that be controlled in order to prevent a creation from being “stolen”?

Can one beacon be enough to claim 100×100 blocks or more?

If a player owning a beacon were to be inactive for a long period of time, will that land be back up for grabs, leaving the creation/shop/resource node/etc. in ruins, or would there be war waged (GvG/PvP depending on the amount of players in a server) for that territory?

Thanks in advance for your time reading through this.

I apologize if this is too early to ask since the funding is not in that stage yet.

• This topic was modified 9 years, 9 months ago by Nyuudles.
      Nyuudles

Oh! I have one more question to ask about Mega beacons.

Once the game officially comes out will there be a “beacon upgrade” for sale to those who didn’t buy beyond wayfarer?

Rob
      Participant

Hi Nyuudles. The current thinking on beacons is that we’ll give you a set number of them to place with your account (5-10 at the minute). The area of land that you can claim with a beacon will start out smaller and grow with time to a maximum size. Lastly, we will need a way of ‘culling’ claims that have gone unused for a long period of time and so will degrade claims/beacons that are no longer in use. The initial plan in this case was to just ‘switch off’ the beacon and allow other players to then claim whatever is inside (ever play Ultima Online ;). But I really like your idea of building inter guild warfare into the system. Interesting….

We weren’t intending on selling a beacon upgrade on launch but if it was something enough people really wanted we might think about it. If so, I’d rather not make it as good as the one from the higher tiers as it was intended on being a unique reward.

Rob – Wonderstruck Designer

Tibor

OK, 5-10 beacons, but how many blocks would one beacon approximately claim?

robg_in_pa
        Participant

OMG….I played Ultima Online. I camped houses about to decay. I remember the extreme adrenalin rush that came when it finally would fall after camping for days and then the mad mad frenzied rush to drag everything to safety before inspecting it and see what goods I got.

If Oort Online can be compared to Ultima Online, I’m both excited and extremely concerned.

robg_in_pa
      Participant

The idea of placing beacons reminds me of the “land rush” when UO opened new servers, and it was a 3 hour marathon of trying to log in and stay logged in long enough to place your deed, and if you were stuck at work that day (fortunately I wasn’t!), then by the time you came home, there was nothing good left. I’ll be interested in seeing how OO handles all of that.

Nyuudles

I do hope there’s enough worlds for players to be able to settle in. I can see how the guild system comes into play with territory control and sharing land. Then again I hope there’s some kind of “regeneration” to the land once the player leaves that settlement. It would give new players the opportunity to live on that piece of land. But on the other hand it could be abused for spawning rare resources… wow this is tough to think about.

Thank you so much for the answers Rob :). I look forward to seeing the growth of this game in the near future. You have my support (once i get my pay).

Grimoire
      Participant

That’d be scary Robg, I’d just hope I find a good and pretty spot to set up my shop/home. Maybe along a cliff near an ocean or something like that. ^^

robg_in_pa
      Participant

Oh, it was like that in UO too…everyone wanting the “nice” spot. Everyone knew where the primo spots were already, because every new server was exactly the same as the previous ones..just initially uninhabited.

In UO though, you could only build in specific areas (where your house could fit in the terrain, almost always near an NPC town). It’ll be interesting to see where players congregate in a world where you can build anywhere.

Grimoire
      Participant

I hope they have fishing in-game, I’d be a fisherman/adventurer. XD

robg_in_pa
      Participant

Haha…ya, I have no idea why, but fishing in a beautiful virtual world has always appealed. Especially when it can be rewarding too such as treasure maps or recipes sometimes. Rare enough to make it thrilling.

Grimoire
      Participant

Or catching a Kraken….

…god giving me nightmares now. 😛

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.