sandbox: destroy other peoples creations

Home Forums General Discussion sandbox: destroy other peoples creations

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      joseph

Currently all mmorpgs out there (that i know of) are themeparks. So i don’t have any experience with sandboxes. In the trailer i notice a house being build. So i assume we will be able to alter the world and construct things? How much can we change? If we build something, how do we avoid someone else destroying it? If parts of the world can be protected, how do you avoid people leaving ugly half build buildings behind, resulting in deserted ugly looking servers?

Zouls
      Participant

they talked about beacons, how you claim an area and only you can build or destroy anything in the area, like that you only you can build but only also you can claim the mats in the area, i think that everything that is build or dug without a claim will be remade like everquest next.

robg_in_pa
      Participant

It seems that so far, there is no plan to let people run their own server in their own house (like minecraft allows), where beacons wouldn’t be needed at all.

That being the case, I’m wondering how they plan to handle people building penis-towers right along the beacon’s boundary (expect it…it’ll happen).

Grimoire
      Participant

I have no clue, it’s still pretty early though and I’m sure they’ll have more information on the matter.

robg_in_pa
      Participant

Ya, I’m not holding them to anything they say now, nor demand too much info from them. In about a year, it’ll be a different matter.

Grimoire
      Participant

Ya, but this time next year they’d probably be in Beta or close to launch depending on how well the funding is going. ^^

there will probably be dev’s aroundi n game that can delete inappropriate buildings wether it’s under protection of the beacons or not.

Havok40k
      Participant

Perhaps some sort of community enforcement could be implemented to self police the servers? It would take a load off the devs and give the community something to help keep their worlds beautiful. I, for one, would hire a crew for such a task.

Laughter
      Participant

I think everyone should get a “safe” plot to build on. Then anything else they build has the chance to be destroyed. That way you can still have a home you feel safe with.

Eric

On games like this it is necessary to police the building of inappropriate buildings (ie. Penis towers) The norm for this kind of policing is players can report things and a Dev or an in-game manager will respond to the ticket. Many times these managers are selected from the player base. Normally an application process.

However, this is a sandbox game and from the artwork, looks like it will be targeted for all ages. So to maintain an E rating from the ESRB there will have to be a police force, and there will be no “safe zone” where you can break the rules of the EULA and not get it changed by the GMs/Devs. One reason you can eliminate any kind of safe zone is that players are paying to play the game, not use the developer kit. Therefore anything they do in the game or build in the game they do not have any legal right to it as far as virtual property or intellectual property.Since you didn’t have to pay for the house, it isn’t yours. You simply paid for the ability to build the house.
        Additionally, just like any online MMO, everything will need to be moderated, and grifers/harassment will probably be bannable offenses, which would include building offensive objects in the game. The Devs and publishers just don’t need the headache of having a mother call or write because their 9 year old girl playing this “cute new minecraft game” being handed a penis sword or a boobs shield from a creepy old guy. there fore, recipes are often set in appearance, and buildings and objects with out set models are policed.

Laughter
        Participant

Oh, silly! Safe Zone as in your own special area where NO ONE can destroy what you created. As in GMs can still take down inappropriate structures.

Think – a plot of land for your home. Perhaps you can port directly there.

Eric

I agree, yes they already have beacons planned for implementation which will be the “safe zones.” The player that plops the beacon will be able to set access and modification rights within their beacon.

Laughter
        Participant

Awesome! I have just discovered this game. Plan to buy the instant alpha package in a few weeks when I get the extra cash.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.