Suggestion: Gravity

Home Forums Suggestions Other Suggestion: Gravity

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Trollacoaster
      Participant

Oort Online already has friction mechanics, so why not have Gravity mechanics as well? There could be blocks that manipulate gravity in specific areas, different biomes can have higher/ stronger gravity or weaker gravity then others. Just a cool small suggestion.

Thorbjorn

This sounds awesome 🙂

James
      Keymaster

Agreed. Sounds cool.

Zouls
      Participant

how hard would it be to make though, and how would we know which have what gravity.

Trollacoaster
      Participant

Gravity Manipulator (A magic tool of some sort) can change gravity in a small area. A tool can be used Sense gravity levels or something like that?

Kuma

or you could just jump and see if the gravity is stronger/weaker^^

Trollacoaster
        Participant

Also smart choice xD

Patfor333
      Participant

There should be a bell curve to gravity levels on worlds. The average world would have a gravity of/around 1, while some worlds would have a 0.2 gravity modifier and others could have 5x normal gravity. This would make worlds more unique and gravity can even vary (but probably not greatly) from biome to biome within each world.

drthmik

In my opinion this is a bad idea.
      while variable gravity between worlds sounds like a novel idea it would quickly become old and annoying.
      learning how to move is an integral and basic skill that is done when you first start playing a game, instituting variable gravity would force players to take this first step many many times.

a game that does this would be Borderlands: the pre-sequel where the moon has a floaty lower gravity and Helios has a more normal gravity and I am constantly annoyed with the switching back and forth between just 2 gravities

plus you’d never know how to move around without hurting yourself B:tps would be unplayable if it had fall damage. exploring would literally become a pain as you drop from a ledge that you think won’t hurt you but the higher gravity breaks your legs and as a result people would be less likely to explore other worlds.

furthermore people would quickly collect on low G worlds abandoning normal and high G worlds because of the increased mobility and decreased fall damage offered by low G

Trollacoaster
        Participant

There’s an easy fix to this; worlds with an abnormal amount of gravity on them can have different intervals/time slots where the gravity is abnormal. Items could also be made to stop the effects of gravity as well such as weighed down boots. Gravity can also be abnormal in only specific areas; such as a place like the Minecraft Nether. I personally love how slow the gravity is Borderland>>

drthmik

making gravity LESS consistent isn’t a fix for gravity being inconsistent

Trollacoaster
      Participant

One persons negative opinion>>

drthmik

For which I’ve given my reasoning
        which you have not countered in the slightest

I didn’t post the instant I read this comment thread, my initial reaction was closer to “interesting idea”

I thought about it for a while, several days in fact.
        I considered what inconsistent gravity would mean and how it would effect play, combat, exploration, building, etc.
        I thought about other games that do that kind of thing (there aren’t many) and what that means. whether they are successful with it or not and why that is.
        most of those games are platformer type games that use gravity manipulation as a primary mechanic for maneuvering or as a means to manipulate difficulty.

I mentioned Borderlands TPS because it uses 2 levels of gravity and is an rpg, however the higher G locations almost completely negate the use of a primary piece of gear (the Oz kits) and Borderlands hasn’t had fall damage since Bl1 and that lack of gravity based damage is the only reason it gets away with it. Even still I don’t like the higher G areas because I feel hobbled and slow in them, it’s frustrating to have the limitations of higher G after having been in Low G, and all of this is with only 2 levels of gravity where the high G area has the same feel as BL2 (which was a fine game and doesn’t feel slow or frustrating) the issue comes not from the high Gs but from the change from low to high and back again.
        Every time you change zones and the gravity is high you have to relearn how to move and what is and isn’t possible, I cannot tell you how many times I’ve run face first into something after trying to jump over it with an Oz boost that did nothing, or tried to jump over a gap and falling into the pit instead. it’s frustrating as hell, but at least It doesn’t result in fall damage.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.