Time-based crafting

Home Forums Suggestions Crafting Time-based crafting

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      meteoriteman
      Participant

As crafting is really common in voxel games and we are getting one, I thought that some things can be really cool to add in. I know they can be a pain to code in, as I’ve attempted to do a simulation purely in code and I almost lost my mind on it, but it is plausible.
      My idea would be something like real world crafting. For this example I’ll use a simple sword.
      Say you need 3 ores to make the blade. First you have to smelt them. This takes time, but not too much as you can screw it up by over-smelting it. Once you think it’s at it’s proper point, you have to hit it with a hammer to shape it properly. All of this things should influence the quality of the sword, as it’s hardness, strenght, flexibility and balance.
      Of course it’s a weird concept, but it would make crafting much more impressive and complicated, but not too much, adding to the experience and allowing for all players to learn different ways of making certain items and equipment.

Okkelinor

Long ago I played in online game “City Lane”. It has craft system with three kind of resources: time, mastery points and materials.
      Amount of mastery points used for crafting has been determining for quality of production and time, that you need to expend. For the best thing, that you can do, you had to wait four hours. And until end of crafting your character could only talk in chat – not to move, no action.

Amount of mastery points was determined by level of craftsman’s skill and numbers of prohibitions for production. Every prohibition does item useless for one of the playable races, but does increase amount of mastery points. An item has the highest quality, if it could be used only by one race.

meteoriteman
      Participant

That seems like a good system. It takes away the boring part of “insert 3 stone, get sword” portion of crafting, like in minecraft. It gives uniqueness to your character.

Havok40k
      Participant

Crafting is already pretty well worked out, according to what I’ve heard from the devs. It’s to be a sort of craft from list style with a modifyer item to get unique properties to add a discovery element. So, craft a sword from materials you have, but add a topaz and get faster attack speed, etc. That way it’s simple enough for light users, but still has a discovery element.

I think an artisan approach to top end items that requires a skilled and knowledgeable craftsman to craft would be exciting and rewarding though. Crafting II?

meteoriteman
      Participant

True, but with that type of crafting you would get a full wiki with every detail on crafting, and it’s no fun that way. At least for me.

Okkelinor

It’s very difficult problem: how to do something, that can not be described in wiki. In some time I meditated about it, and couldn’t find common solution. Only fully random things for every player conceivably will be able to salvage this situation.
        …or will not be able. How lucks

Havok40k
      Participant

A wiki will be created no matter what.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.