Underground Worlds?

Home Forums Suggestions Worlds Underground Worlds?

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      theblackveil

I did a search on “underground,” and mostly found suggestions regarding having COOL undergrounds present in worlds, which is a great idea.

I’d like to extrapolate on that a bit, though, and suggest (slash, ask if it is at all possible?) worlds that are ENTIRELY underground.

I know a large part of the beauty of this game is weather systems and the like and I honestly don’t know anything regarding how they function, systemically speaking, in the game (I can’t play it yet as I travel for work and have only a Mac Mini to keep me company).

So, I think it would be really awesome to open a portal to a random world and see darkness, with little glow-y bits off in the distance. You step through the portal to find yourself in a massive cavern, maybe so massive you can’t even see the top.

I’m thinking something on the order of the Underdark (for you D&D fans out there), or Blackstone (I think this is the name of the forgotten Dwemer/Falmer city underneath Skyrim).

Basically an entire world, complete with ecologies/biomes, underneath the world. Gameplay would be fundamentally the same, but instead of sunlight these worlds would rely on glowing flora. You would still dig mines and create castles even, but the world would be completely enclosed.

Pharoah
      Participant

The only issue I really see with this is that when you think about it, entirely underground worlds still need a surface, otherwise they would be infinitely large.

Worlds with larger, possibly even connected underground tunnels (where underground is the entry point from portals) with nothing of major value on the surface at all.

I’m not sure if this is really even possible.

theblackveil

Looking at the way the world builder utility seems to work (based on a video I watched earlier), I think one could just max out the “world box” with blocks and then create caves within that.

I’m not sure I follow your train of thought with it being infinitely large at all.

Pharoah
      Participant

If it has no surface, you could dig upwards an infinite amount of blocks, unless you hit the world walls. I’m sure it could be done, but would be immersion breaking as the walls would be close both above and below the caved worlds floor and ceiling. All solid masses have a surface, there’s no escaping it.

/.-

Maybe a world that is primarily underground with massive caverns, stalagmites, stalagmites, glowy crystals,,mushrooms and underground creatures. The surface can be like 15 blocks under the sky limit, and be just desert with a few holes pocked in it and expose the sky in a few sections to the world below.

omega2
      Participant

To see the settings of the world builder, we can already make biome with plants in the caves without plant at surface and with surface near level 250.
      We can choose block who use to create each section of any biome.

If you can made stalagmite, you can create a non-leaf tree which consists of any sort of rock (crystal and lamp is available 😉 ).

I don’t view a mushroom block at this time.

I just tested a few of these settings. I don’t tested plants in cavern but I view option in plantation node.

/.-

Yeah, it could work I just hope for something a bit more diverse and refreshing than caves or the nether. Maybe like 3d don’t starve caves or something similar but I don’t know quite yet…

Kuma

I think James said once: There could be worlds that go thousands of blocks downwards…
      So why have a special world for your underground fantasies? You can use the regular (most likely finalized) worlds, which will surely have all the flora and fauna you want under and on the surface^^

/.-

Excellent point, assuming it is true, I guess we will just have to see. For now let’s at least think of what those flora fauna and features may be!

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.