World/gameplay division + modding

Home Forums Suggestions Worlds World/gameplay division + modding

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Darkicus

I was just thinking about when we lose creative-mode, and think we might not have to, it should be easy peasy to tie it into the game universe. Here’s a brainstorm-

Normal Worlds
      Default, a little bit of everything, what you might consider vanilla Oort. Until we get further into development this is probably what we’re going to be using. Alas, there is no creative mode here.

Creative Worlds (dreamy dimensions)
      A world type dedicated to creative mode! In this world, blocks you break do not drop anything- but any block you place does not consume anything either. Similar to pressing ‘I’ right now. Any block that provides a function does not work here- everything is purely aesthetic. Except beacons of course. There can be exceptions.

You cannot die, perhaps you can fly- thematically I would give these worlds a sort of dream like atmosphere, maybe weave it into the lore a bit.

To build really cool things, you’d still need to find cool blocks to use from the normal worlds.

Tranquil Worlds
      Right now the game is very peaceful, and like losing creative mode, we’re going to lose that peace once we have horrible monsters and titans stomping around and too many cute critters up in our business. I think it would be a good idea to keep some relaxation zones in.

Tranquil Worlds have no hostile mobs, and limited/reduced friendly creatures. To balance this, there are also no rare materials, and there are less resources in general. Environmental dangers remain, but nothing extreme. Similar to now.

Good worlds to build bases in, but would rely heavily on materials from other worlds. Perhaps some unique resources for trading? Spending time in a tranquil world could fill you with aetheric magicyks. Trade-off!

Titan Nests
      Ooooh yeah, we’re also going to need some hardcore challenge for those who love combat and action. MOAR enemies and big stompies, rarer loot, and more valuable ores and dangers. Collecting resources in this world type is going to require constant battle. Building isn’t too useful here as enemies will slowly claw and smash their way through anything to get to you. Super tough building materials would have a good use here!

Private Worlds (mod central)
      One of the problems Oort seems to have is that modding is an essential component of a sandbox, yet this kind of mmo universe doesn’t really allow for modding. But if we’re going to have private worlds, that opens up a whole big opportunity. I think private worlds should be completely moddable. I definitely want my lil’ pony private world at some point-

The only obstacle is preventing modded and potentially game-disrupting, game-breaking, game-shattering modifications from leaving these worlds. Simple! Picking up any custom blocks or items etc in a private world temporarily blocks all exit portals until you drop said items somewhere. If you change your race or your abilities, you have to change back before you can leave.

It might be nice if private servers sharing the same mods would allow portals between each other- essentially, each world blocks incompatible mod items from entering it. And the majority of worlds would be vanilla worlds.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.